Who can apply?
– dancer or performer;
– 30-65 years old;
– country of origin: Latvia, Portugal, Romania.
– ability to play musical instrument;
– to know other dance styles besides contemporary (folk, step, hip hop, social, etc.).
What to do to apply?
Send by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org the following:
– Very short reflection on the text provided by the choreographer (it can be written text, spoken word, dance improvisation, video, photos, sound); Applicants should request the proposed text via email before starting to answer to the below;
– Very short bio and non-bio (a list of wishes and opportunities that you will never be able to use and/or never used);
– Answer the questionnaire:
1. The funniest dance you have experienced;
2. The funniest situation you have experienced during a performance;
3. The funniest situation in your life;
4. The funniest thing that has happened to people or things around you (friends, family, pet, computer, house etc);
5. The funniest photo of you (frontal, profile or full length).
Working periods for co-production:
4–18 July, 2014 – Bucharest (Romania);
2 weeks in April, 2015 – Riga (Latvia).
April 29, 2015 – premiere in Riga (Latvia);
June 23-26, 2015 – Bucharest (Romania);
July 3-4, 2015 – Porto (Portugal).
Performers are offered 1500 euro fee (before taxes) for their participation to the project. Travel costs, accommodation and per diem are covered through the project.
Application deadline: May 1, 2014.
Olga Zitluhina (Latvia) was a long time artistic director of the Olga Zitluhina Dance Company (1996-2012). The Company was the most influential contemporary dance group in Latvia for more than decade. In different stages of development Company consisted of 5 to 8 dancers, each having a different dance background. Most of the dancers have finished the Modern Dance Department at Latvian Academy of Culture.
The Company has performed several full length works by Olga Zitluhina – “When the Owl`s Tail Will Blossom”, “Take 735”, “And Again About the Same. Part I”, “All in White”, “Dances of the Lost”.
The very first production “Herring’s Vocation” had its premiere at the Modern Dance Festival in Kaunas, Lithuania. In 1998 the Company was invited to perform Olga Zitluhina’s choreography “Spitting Whistling in the Ceiling” at the dance theatre workshop East of Eden in New York City, USA. Olga’s productions have been performed at several international contemporary dance festivals – Evolution in Tallinn, Estonia, New Baltic Dance in Vilnius, Lithuania, Baltic University of Dance in Gdansk, Poland, Tanzfestival Bielefeld in Bielefeld, Germany, Barents Dance festival in Hammerfest, Norway, Cornerstone Festival in Liverpool, Southbank Centre in London (UK) as well as at the festivals of contemporary dance in Kaunas, Lithuania and Vitebsk, Belarus.
On September 1, 1999 the Department of Modern Dance at the Latvian Academy of Culture was established at the initiative of Olga Zitluhina. For the first time in Latvia it offered a 4-year program for professional education in contemporary dance. Olga Zitluhina is headmaster and modern dance teacher at the Department.
Olga Zitluhina is artistic director of international contemporary dance festival in Riga “Time to Dance” that takes place in Riga every June since 2006.
The co-production is part of “E-Motional: rethinking dance”. Project created and led by Gabriela Tudor Foundation (Bucharest) in cooperation with the Association of Professional Dance Choreographers of Latvia (Riga), Fabrica de Movimentos (Porto) and “George Apostu” Cultural Centre (Bacau), with the support of the Culture programme of the European Union.